Wednesday, February 2, 2011

How to set Environment Variables in Linux

Hi Guys, This is one of main issue behind problem in installing a software package in Linux.Suppose you want to install a package in your system,but the installer could not resolved the dependencies because it is unable to find the required package in your system, but you have already installed the required libraries or the required package.It is very frustating.

Take an example,I was installing Hadoop on Fedora,I have installed the jdk1.6u23.But when I tried to install Hadoop,It is showing that Hadoop needs jdk1.6 or higher version.

The reason is that I had not set the environment variable $JAVA_HOME.

To solve this error I set the environment variable:

$ export JAVA_HOME=/path/to/jdk/installation/directory
$ export PATH=${PATH}:${JAVA_HOME}/bin

1 comment:

  1. Pretty great post. I simply stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I have truly enjoyed browsing your blog posts.
    After all I'll be subscribing for your feed and I hope you write once more soon!

    my blog post :: houston garden centers jobs

    ReplyDelete